Register To Comment

Thread: “Know Thyself” Is A Lot To Ask

Default “Know Thyself” Is A Lot To Ask

“Know Thyself” Is A Lot To Ask : Neuroskeptic

I thought dismissing/ignoring the service user was common practice anyway. This article just aims to legitimise it more.
      Yet inside there is this perpetual nagging doubt;
      the feeling we are possessed by a 'subtle lack of togetherness''.

If we really want to say what helps in mental health, there’s a straightforward mantra and it goes like this:

“Some people find medication helpful. Some people find therapy helpful. Some people find medication and therapy helpful. Some people don’t find either helpful.”

My newspaper

My Mood
      Sleepy

I agree. Obviously there will be people who try to swing the lead in the system, but there is no evidence that they are very many. But the rest of us often talk without expert knowledge, yet talk in a way that does shine through with a pattern of signs and symptoms. Psychiatrists may have all kinds of criticism, but they can assess fairly accurately patterns of thoughts and emotions etc.

Taken on its own, self assessment has all kinds of problems, as can be seen i n people who do an internet quetionnaire and decide they have ten diagnoses. But it is not such a problem if in front of someone who has seen all kinds behaviours. We can argue over what they do with those patterns, but self assessment is needed.
      "I am She who e're the world was formed, was Rhea, Binah Ge. I am the soundless, boundless bitter sea from whom life welled eternally. Isis in heaven, on Earth Persephone, Levanah of the waves and Hecate. All these am I and all these are seen in me." Dion Fortune.

My Mood
      Pensive

im by no means intellectual so please excuse my ignorance but on a basic level most mental health conditions stem from changes in thought patterns and these cause changes in behavior ( i did say it was basic) how can you know what someone is thinking without self reporting ???

My Mood
      Cynical

Quote Originally Posted by calypso View Post
      ... the rest of us often talk without expert knowledge, yet talk in a way that does shine through with a pattern of signs and symptoms. Psychiatrists may have all kinds of criticism, but they can assess fairly accurately patterns of thoughts and emotions etc.
      I find they misinterpret and distort, or downplay and ignore, practically every thing I have ever said to them. Our society contains many ignorances. They are trained to see the world a certain way, a way which highlights and emphasises the importance of these ignorances - and they internalise this. It is not the way the world is, nor is it the way I am.

I think we do speak with expert knowledge, I think each of us is the world leading expert on ourselves and our emotions and experiences.

Taken on its own, self assessment has all kinds of problems, as can be seen i n people who do an internet quetionnaire and decide they have ten diagnoses. But it is not such a problem if in front of someone who has seen all kinds behaviours. We can argue over what they do with those patterns, but self assessment is needed.
      The vast majority of these surveys are designed to get you to see a psychiatrist, often the money flow behind the sites goes back to Big Pharma. They are a marketing tool for entry into the system. They are sponsored and designed as a tool to get you in the door. They aren't designed to help you, they are designed to pathologise you. Find a site with one on and see who's running it/sponsoring it. Most times you'll see this .. and even when you can't trace it it's not necessarily absent.

Very little can be learned about either the validity of self reporting techniques (although it does have its problems as a research technique), nor the people who fill them in honestly and end up with every diagnosis in the DSM 5 from doing so, because these things imo
      Please Sign this Petition for Transparency of Clinical Trials
      “It is an art of no little importance to administer medicines properly: but it is an art of much greater and more difficult acquisition to know when to suspend or altogether to omit them” Philippe Pinel
      Don't cold turkey psychiatric drugs:
      Safely Withdraw from Meds. Information + Forum
      Harm Reduction Guide to Coming Off
      Beyond Meds: surviving withdrawal syndromes
      mentalhealthforum thread on withdrawing

My Mood
      Cynical

Quote Originally Posted by firemonkee View Post
      I thought dismissing/ignoring the service user was common practice anyway. This article just aims to legitimise it more.
      firemonkee
      wait for it
      I completely agree with your position!!!

I'm worried either someone hacked your account or I'm hallucinating
      Please Sign this Petition for Transparency of Clinical Trials
      “It is an art of no little importance to administer medicines properly: but it is an art of much greater and more difficult acquisition to know when to suspend or altogether to omit them” Philippe Pinel
      Don't cold turkey psychiatric drugs:
      Safely Withdraw from Meds. Information + Forum
      Harm Reduction Guide to Coming Off
      Beyond Meds: surviving withdrawal syndromes
      mentalhealthforum thread on withdrawing

Register To Comment