Register To Comment
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Been trying to open a bank account for 10 years and STILL CANT!!!!!!!!!!!!

Default Been trying to open a bank account for 10 years and STILL CANT!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ive been trying to open my own bank account for about 10 years now and STILL cant!!!! (previous to this i used someone elses account, but need my own account now)
      Ive been to the HSBC who tell me they will ONLY accept a passport as ID.
      Llyods bank will accpet a passport and accept a provisinal licience
      I dont not have any of these forms of ID. ( and its very difficult for me to get them at the moment)

I have a DRs letter were she says has known me for over 15 years and endorsed my photo were the dr says on the back of the photo that this is a true likness of the named person in the photo attached to this letter.
      Does anyone know of any bank that will allow me to open an account with this ID? what about barcalys or bank of scotland ect?

It seems incredible to me that the ID from my Dr can be used to obtain a provisional license which in turn can open a bank account, so why cant the drs letter be used directly by a bank instead of at first using my DRs ID to obtain the provisional liecence????
      Its seems complete madness !

Or better still is there an online bank that i can aplie for online, that will DEFINITLY accept me without a passport nor provisional license.
      But the online account needs to have a cash card so I can order stuff via the internet ect.
      Oh and I want an account with NO charges whatsoever aslong as I dont go over drawn whIch I neever do.

I only need a bank account so can have my benefit paid in, otherwize id have nothing whatsoever to do with banks, they absolutely rip people off!

I NEVER KNEW HOW IT WUD BE SO DIFFICULT TO DO JUST THE SIMPLEST OF THINGS LIKE OPEN A BANK ACCOUNT!!!!!!!!!!

Post Office account should be OK
      Or try a local Credit Union.

Due to fraud, money laundering, international terrorism etc - the ID requirements for a main bank account are now comprehensive.
      “To a mind that is still, the whole universe surrenders.” ~ Chang Tzu
      "You become mature when you become the authority of your own life.” ~ Joseph Campbell
      http://healingsanctuary.proboards.com/index.cgi
      http://www.mentalhealthforum.net/forum/thread54371.html

Quote Originally Posted by cpuusage View Post
      Post Office account should be OK
      Or try a local Credit Union.

Due to fraud, money laundering, international terrorism etc - the ID requirements for a main bank account are now comprehensive.
      Thanks for that advice, Yes its easy to open a post office account, they take almost any form of ID and would certainly accept my drs letters and photo, but unfortunalty were I am at the moment, we dont have post office accounts here anymore!

Im sure there are online bank accounts somewere that will take people WITH no ID.
      If any one knows of one please put up a link thanks as I need some kind of account with cash card were my benefit can be paid in.

Im wondering if I could apply for a post office account online and open a UK post office account and get my beneift paid directly into that UK account ?

Dunno, just dont know why its so difficult to open a bank account, when my DRS letter and my endorsed photo is actually FAR more reliable as ID than a passport or provisional liceince could ever be!
      They can be forged ect far easier than a DRS letter can be!

Will try the local credit union in a min, will google it to see if I can open an online account, thanks
      Last edited by midnite; 18-01-13 at 00:11.

Hi

I just opened an account with Natwest, I don't have license or passport either, I took in
      1- my benefit entitlement letter
      2-national insurance card
      3- two letters with my home address on
      4- a hospital letter

and I think that was it. they just checked my national insurance number, my address, my hospital letter with my name and DOB and the hospital letter, so im sure if you took all those in, as well as your photo and letter from doctor they MIGHT be able to sort one for you. i'd ask about it
      xx
      Thanks flowergirl gave thanks for this post

My Mood
      Pensive

hi i also opened an account with natwest. they checked my identity on the electoral roll i didnt have to send in any id ..i did it all on line i filled in the details and then about 5 days later they sent me a letter to sign and send back which i did. then they sent me a cash card and cheque book.xx
      love changes everything
      Likes sickntired, brat tomato liked this post

oh yeah, flowergirl is right, they check the electoral roll too so I think NatWest is best place to go if you still need an acct

My Mood
      Goofy

Hi,
      Try the Co-op, I opened one over phone with no hassle. That was about two year ago and the account is very basic but given my credit score is worse than Greece's, it'll do me!

Founding Member

when i was hoping to get direct payments they said i needed a seperate account so i tried to open an account lloyds offered a basic one you could only use their cashpoint and not the link, i said isn't that a breech of the disability discrimination act they said no because it's due to you been on benefits

Another bank refused me on the grounds my nat wes bank card wasn;t registered at my adresss since they;re machine refuses cash withdrawals, i'd turned up with a letter from the bankers assoc provided by the direct payments but i think the top man they contacted was bigoted against schitzoprenia

I've got a bank account with nat west i had from before i was ill, it's just as well i've kept it on and not got into debt or i'd have problems opening a account

Thanks for everyones replies, its apprecatied!

I got a bit sick n tired in the end of continually going to banks tying to open an account and told I dont have the right proof if ID ect in fact it became a nitemare! Years and years of trying to open a bank account!!!
      So in the end i had 2 applie for a driving license!

And this was a load of hassle in itself!!!! had to applie and pay for a birth certificate, this took weeks to come thru, then had to go and get some photos done take these to the DR to sign the back of the photos which cost me another £20, then send all these off, more weeks later, and the driving licence cost another £18 in all it cost me over £70 just to get a driving license in order to open a bank account !

What ever happened to the days were people could just walk into a bank with no ID and paper work whaso ever, just tell them your name and address and you open an account!
      It was so simple !

Buy anyways it took me years and years, and had to pay out over £70 to open a llyds bank account, but I got there in the end!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I havent a clue why the HSBC bank will only accept a passport as ID to open a bank account!

Founding Member

when i applied for direct payments i turned up at santander with a letter from the bankers assoc saying i should be allowed to open an account, i neeeded a 2nd bank account where direct payments could be processed, i showed my nat west bank card to the women she said pityingly thats not a credit card then she phoned up someone in central office who refused and since then my card doesn't work in they're machine. should phone up my bank about it, i think it was the disability schitzoprenia that provoked the guys reaction

I never got direct payments in the end despite the case reaching the parliamentary ombudsmans office

Register To Comment
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast