Register To Comment

Thread: I can't stand the noise!!!

My Mood
      Happy

Default I can't stand the noise!!!

While doing a search I found a question on this site related to noise and BPD. But after registering it looks like its not a current thread. Anyway I have a really hard time processing noise.. not sound but Noise. My two year old crying non stop because she didn't get her way, my children laughing, crowds. I have heard of people not liking music or the tv those sounds don't bother me. I just can't take loud chaos. Is this from my BPD or do I possibly have another disorder that causes this inability to process loud high pitch or scrambled sounds?

My Mood
      Pensive

You know what, i've always wondered this myself.
      I literally cannot process noise either. It's almost as if my startle reflex is hyper-sensitive. If there's a loud noise (even if I know it's coming) I cannot cope.

I can only speculate that with BPD we're "hyper-sensitive" anyway, and so it would only make sense that some of our other senses are the same.

Does it make a difference if you're tired at all? Because I know with chronic fatigue this is an issue, and I find when i'm tired and have to deal with noise I literally feel like i'm going to have a heart attack (I know that sounds dramatic, but it's unbearable).

It'll be interesting to see if others reply to this with the same experience.

My Mood
      Happy

I know its worse if I am already high strung or irritable I know that noise might get on anyones nerves in that situation but for me it sends me into a blind rage and I have to get away from the situation before I go completely over the edge. I have to take a cool down break... I just feel completely crazy because other people don't seem to be sent into a crazy mode where they cover their ears and scream for people to be QUIET!!! I just want to figure out how to work through it... I don't want to continue to be like this and I really don't want my kids to try not to laugh too loudly around me.

My Mood
      Pensive

I am also supersensitive to noise, so much so that my voice comes across as quiet, not because I'm shy or afraid, but because I have realised everything is much louder to me than most people. As with everything else hardly anyone can empathise.

I put it down to asperger's but maybe not, maybe the general sensitising of my brain from child abuse, or a combination.
      "Maybe everyone out there is a liar. And maybe the whole world is stupid and ignorant. But I'd rather be in it"
      Susanna Kaysen from 'Girl, Interrupted'
      "I observe the physician with the same diligence as the disease."
      John Donne
      Likes sunshine82 liked this post

My Mood
      Pensive

Yes, my voice is really quiet too. That's an interesting connection you've made.

My Mood
      Blah

This is an interesting thread as I keep meaning to talk this over with my psych, I am super sensitive to noise, like you say not sound but noise.

The hoover, the washing machine, voices from the next room (the type where its just a muffled noise!) bad quality speakers with radio/music. Just constant noises, they send me into a rage, make me so angry and cause violent outbursts.

Glad Im not alone!
      Thanks sunshine82 gave thanks for this post
      Likes sunshine82 liked this post

My Mood
      Happy

ME TOO for the longest time I thought I was the only one
      "Though she be but little, she is fierce!
      ― William Shakespeare, A Midsummer Night's Dream

My Mood
      Scared

I get this too. And I also have a thing where if there are quite a few noises going on at the same time, I only seem to be able to focus on one and everything else is muffled. Like for example if someone is talking to me, but the tv is on, and then the dog starts barking... I suddenly cant hear what someone is saying, and the tv just becomes muffled, yet the dog barking is so clear and really gets to me. (I dont think Im describing this very well). Its affected by my moods. If Im feeling ok then its fine, but when I have a negative emotion it gets too much, and the volume of my voice goes right down, to the point where people tell me I am whispering and need to speak up!
      Thanks SomersetScorpio gave thanks for this post

Register To Comment