Register To Comment

Thread: Free Online University Courses being offered

My Mood
      Scared

Default Free Online University Courses being offered

TED TV posted links to various University and College courses being offered online free today. Some really interesting and unique courses. Thought it might be good to post here for people looking and taking new directions. Already have mine picked out. You can see the courses through the TED page here: TED Blog | 12 great free online courses
      https://www.facebook.com/realtiesconverging
      Thanks Wiseowl gave thanks for this post

Thanks for posting this, Gajolene. I really like the look of the bio-medical ethics one; it's right up my street.
      "Quiet people have the loudest minds" - Stephen Hawking

mellonheadgirl

I looked. Interesting topics. Thanks. Maybe I will do 1.

My Mood
      Scared

It was the Dilemmas in Bio-Medical Ethics: Playing God or Doing Good?
      The School: MIT, via Open Courseware that caught my attention first too, That one and this one, Fantasy and Science Fiction: The Human Mind, Our Modern World
      The School: University of Michigan, via Coursera

Have also just found these courses provided by the OU - I've done two modules with them over 2 years ago and have only just found this today!
      "Quiet people have the loudest minds" - Stephen Hawking
      Thanks Wiseowl gave thanks for this post
      Likes Gajolene liked this post

Founding Member

I think you have to pay if you do an ou course, i did one a while ago, you can go to the benefit office and get a form paid fees, but then you risk them telling you it won't effect your benefits then 6 months later your case is reassessed with massive forms in triplicate

I paid rather than risk it my support worker suggested a psychiatrists letter saying it was therapeutic but the shrinks secretary said she didn't have the time

The computing course i did, past ou courses you got phone support but the tutor used the line as this is a computing course we;ll communicate by e mail, then the programming bit the firewall on the computer stopped the programme, i phoned up the computing advice place they said to contact the supplier, if i had found a no it would have been a pound a minute
      Thanks Gajolene gave thanks for this post

My Mood
      Inspired

Yes the learning space lets you try some course materials for free.

Just to say to do OU courses and get funding you now have to either apply for part-time student loan, get employee sponsorship or pay as you go.

Ways to pay for a qualification in England - Undergraduate Study - Open University
      'Money can't buy you happiness but it does bring you a more pleasant form of misery.' Spike Milligan

'It's a gift and a curse. You get the pain much worse than anybody else, but you see a sunrise much more beautiful than anybody else!' Spike Milligan

'Insanity - a perfectly rational adjustment to an insane world' R.d. Laing

'Put all people committed of un-social behaviour in to Stocks, this will create a demand for stocks, which should help to increase the stock market'

Founding Member

maybe if i'm put in the work related activity group they may pay for a course, maybe it won't be all bad

My Mood
      Lonely

I would love to go back into education eventually. I don't think I'm ready yet though. When I am, I might consider looking at my local college.
      Likes Wiseowl liked this post

Founding Member

my local college i'm not thinking of, it's either basic maths literacy or english a few hrs a week or intensive work orientated courses

I've found a college i'm interested in a few hrs a week dreamweaver, as boundarys between boroughs have broken down i may get concessions by providing a letter from the housing asssoc saying i;m getting housing benefit which is means tested, avoiding contacting the dwp and triggering a change of circumstances, it's also on my local train line

The only question is can i handle the people, this hermit isn't used to leaving his cave

Register To Comment