I am sorry this has had so little interest. I have just listened to the video and I have discovered I am a highly empathic person LOL. But what he is saying is far more important than many realise. If our psychiatrists, care workers, bankers, and us, were more willing to listen and care, then a lot of our problems would disappear. The problems remaining would be helped with more insight and interest.
I am particularly interested that he has managed to give six steps and that is very useful indeed.
Thank you xxx
"How do you spell LOVE" said Piglet.
"You don't spell it, you feel it" said Pooh
It is often said that women are naturally more empathetic then us men. I did find this interesting. So have jotted down the 6 points...
1. Cultivate curiosity about strangers. Get beyond labels. Gave example of George Orwell dropping out to find what it was like not having money.
2. Challenge prejudices and find commonalities. Told story of a Ku Klux Klan leader and black civil rights leader who had to work together. It challenged their prejudices, and gave them things to work on together.
3. Try to experience being somebody else. This is experiencing what other experience not voyeurism. Told story of a designer who became like an elderly woman to see what was like and try to come up with new designs that are usable by all.
First 3 examples all involved some real world role playing that seemed quite extreme. But perhaps to overturn our current way of thinking we need extremes. Then
4. Practise the art of conversation. Be a good listener. Open self up and share own stories. Make self vulnerable.
5. Study others. Not accept norms that are wrong. Like Slavery was thought necesary until former slaves shared lives. Hearing others stories with empathy can lead to social change.
6. Ambitious imagination. Try emphathising with those in power and think about their values. Not to adopt their views but to be able to bridge gaps. Empathise with people in the future whose legacy we are creating on this planet, or across space to people suffering from climate change.
Very good. Thanks. Some things to think about.