Register To Comment
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Headaches

My Mood
      Inspired

Default Headaches

Hi All,

I'm afraid this is the best I can do........ I dip in here sometimes, and I feel supported by reading some of your experiences........ And I hope sharing some of mine gives some support............ More than that and the internet world sends me freaking.......... Here's something........

Do any of you suffer from kind of hair-trigger headaches? Sometimes I get a headache for seemingly a completely inconsequential reason - sometimes I can't even identify it - but it's a stress headache, and it goes on sometimes for days. I've had one since last Thursday. I can't seem to break out of it.

Has anyone else had this in relation to bipolar?

Thanks even if you read this.

Reddish.
      I'm not mad, it's just my brain.

My Mood
      Scared

hi Reddish,

I get lots of headaches and I believe theyre brought on by anxiety/stress. Its like a tight band round my head and it feels like someone is tightening the band. I take painkillers and usually the headache goes but I have had a couple recently that Ive had a problem shifting.

I dont have a dx of bipolar so cant comment on the link between that and headaches. I hope that the one youre suffering with at the moment soon goes.

Tina x
      You start life with a clean slate. Then you begin to make your mark. You face decisions, make choices. You keep moving forward. But sooner or later there comes a time when you look back over where you have been and wonder who you really are.
      Thanks ReddishOfRed gave thanks for this post

Hi Reddish,

What medication(s) are you on (if any)? I hope you don't mind me asking. Just that headaches can be a side effect for some. I take Amitriptyline daily for headaches - maybe you could switch your meds? Some anti-depressants work better for chronic pain than they do for depression. My doc said to me that tension headaches are very common with those who suffer from anxiety. x
      "Quiet people have the loudest minds" - Stephen Hawking

My Mood
      Inspired

Hi Tina,

Yeps, anxiety, it's like an organic hard-wired part of my system.... Not always obvious, but approximately either anxious/excited, or completely switched off. I'm looking forward to being a different person (not totally different).

Hi Bob,

I'm not on any meds, I never really have been. Quetiapine, Mirtazapine, and Lithium all made me feel worse. But I've just taken 2.5mg olanzapine in case it does anything. No noticeable effect yet.

Paracetamol doesn't touch these headaches - these are muscle spasms, I'm sure.

Thanks for your replies.

reddish.

Hi Reddish I have suffered from severe migranes all my life. Panadine sometimes helps but constantly doesnt. Over the years I have tried many things but nothing ever worked. My husband gives my neck and shoulders a massage he actually ended up training in massage because of it and it works well to help. Alot of pain from stress type headaches comes from your neck and shoulders so Id give it a try it really does help, you can even do it yourself but works better with another doing it. It can really hurt but its worth it.

My Mood
      Inspired

Thanks Sweet,............ Last night I "slept" for 13 hours, and now I'm at home doing everything in super-slow mode, and the pain seems to be going.

Reddish.

I wonder if you're suffering from these headaches? It stood out to me when you said that painkillers don't help you.
      Thanks ReddishOfRed gave thanks for this post

My Mood
      Inspired

Thanks Bob, it's not that type.

I managed to get rid of it by sleeping myself to the limit, and doing everything super-slow till it had stayed away long enough not to come back again.

Reddish.

My Mood
      Confused

I've had migraines for years, more years than I can actually remember now.

The method I use currently to try and help myself are taking soluble paracetamol (when I can get it - it suddenly seems to have gotten very scare in Tesco) soon as I know for sure one is coming, and then whack a Migraine Kool n soothe strip right on because I don't have the energy to hold a cold compress in place at that point. The combination coupled with wearing my sunglasses and lying in a dark room helps most of the time, and in times of extreme duress, I swap the paracetamol with cocodamol, which you can get on repeat prescription from your doctor, an OTC alternative is Migralieve, the pinks have paracetamol, codeine and buclizine (the antiemetic). One of these followed by the yellows, dosage as you would with paracetamol, work for many people.
      In queso emergency, I pray to Cheesus.

I've been on propranolol for years to prevent migraines. When they stopped working, my doctor prescribed me with sumatriptan. They didn't work for me so she's trying me on almotriptan - she wants me to take triptans rather than generic painkillers so I don't become 'tolerant' when I need to take them. The trick is to take them as soon as you feel a migraine coming on. The problem is I think triptans are only available on prescription. Here's some more info about them, if you're interested and think they might be worth a try

Register To Comment
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast