• Register To Comment

Thread: Anyone else who can't take pills?

My Mood
      Cheerful

Default Anyone else who can't take pills?

I have always really struggled with taking pills all my life but learnt to take them with food when I went on ADs. I've got to a point now where I think I'm gonna have to learn to it with water just in case there is a time when I have no choice.

I have only ever successfully done it twice. First time I was having really bad cramps and needed to take a pain killer. I was at a friends house and her mum's boyfriend refused to let me do it with food. He said that I had to learn and proceeded to put the pill in my mouth, made me drink some water and then put his hand over my mouth and nose so I couldn't breath. It was horrible and he said he wouldn't let go until I had swallowed it. I did and it got stuck in my throat and I had to frantically drink water until it went down.

The second time I was in town and got the sqits . I ran to the nearest chemists to get some meds but they only had capsules (imodium instants hadn't been invented yet). I locked myself in a public toilet with my pills and a bottle of sprite and had to try, it was a case of swallow the damn things or be stuck there all day. After my third attempt I managed to do it and was able to go home but I'm sure it was the adrenalin that made me be able to do it that day.

I have just started trying to do it again. I got some of those little sugar balls for putting on cakes in various sizes from the supermarket and have decided to start with the smallest ones and work my way up.

I'm really pleased because I have just managed to swallow two of the tiny ones with some choc milk I'm thinking of doing that a few times a day until I can do it with no hesitation and then move up. My ADs are around the same size as the larger ones so hopefully soon I will be able to do it
      That's a very nice everything you have there.......Tsssssssssssss

ACCOUNT CLOSED
      My Mood
      Devilish

I'm kinda the opposite, I can take pills fine but liquid meds are a no go. I always used to be put on this bright yellow antibiotic. It was awful. I try to swallow liquid medicenes, they get to my throat, my throat clamps and it all comes shooting back out.

It doesn't surprise me since I don't eat any squidgy food at all. No yoghurt, ketchup or other sauces, bananas, jam... anything squidgy is a no. :P

My Mood
      Cheerful

Squishy food is pretty much all I eat. I choked on some chicken twice when I was little and since then anything remotely sold won't pass through my lips. I even have a hart time brushing my teeth because I don't like the tooth brush going to far into my mouth (I know I won't choke on it, just worried I will gag).

I'm determined to get this pill thing down though, just need to get my brain used to the fact that nothing bad will happen

I don't know what pills you are taking, but I should ask your GP. or your pharmacist if the same can be given in syrup form. Don't stop taking the pills in the meantime.

Ainsworth

soz i laughed at this thread, only because 'that is me'!! too...i sadly understand very well.

i have to hide away from people when i take tablets, its takes ages for me to swallow them. its a nightmare. capsules are better, they dont break apart so fast in the mouth, but anything that has a taste to it. jeez NO!!! awful. i get through a glass of water per tablet and its a marathon event that i should be awareded a gold medal for
      Last edited by Ainsworth; 25-03-12 at 21:56. Reason: fucked up spelling again

I can't stand taking meds, any type really, my own fault really. I have a history of od-ing , I struggle to take antibotics when I needed to take them. Even if i have a headache or a cold.. I will put it off for as long as i can as I feel physically sic just by looking at them. Then if I do take them, the normal amount I sometimes feel i need to take more.. My mum doesn't know this, but when I took my first od and for the next year and a bit, when i had recovered she still would hand me two... frustrating.

Only slightly related,

Pills often get stuck in my throat. It's pretty unpleasant, especially if there is a strong chemical in them then it comes back up eventually.

I'm on anti-psychotics and seeing my doctor today, going to ask if i can be put on oral disintegrating wafer. The biggest reason is my anti psychotic is designed to be absorbed in the gut, but after awhile in my throat it breaks up and hence never gets to my intestines, instead it will be getting partially destroyed in my stomach.

My Mood
      Cheerful

Quote Originally Posted by lostminty View Post
      Pills often get stuck in my throat. It's pretty unpleasant, especially if there is a strong chemical in them then it comes back up eventually.
      I think that is one of the reasons I struggle so much, scared it will get stuck or I will bring it back up

Quote Originally Posted by lostminty View Post
      but after awhile in my throat it breaks up and hence never gets to my intestines, instead it will be getting partially destroyed in my stomach.
      I'm on Mirt atm and if it stays in your mouth too long it breaks up and makes your mouth go numb and tastes horrid, not very nice.

Register To Comment