Register To Comment
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I took too much Lithium (accidentally) what do I do?

Founding Member

Default I took too much Lithium (accidentally) what do I do?

Last night I took my meds twice. Don't know what I was thinking of. I was really tired this morning and I probably wouldn't have even thought about the meds but my dosette box was still on the worktop. I had taken Friday and Saturdays. So I took 1200mg of Quetiapine and 2000mg Lithium.

I feel fine. I have a little gnawing feeling in my digestive system but I have had a dodgy tum on and off for a bit. I have no nausea, no tremors or anything. I can't face going to A&E just to get my levels checked as it will be horrendous on a Saturday night. I also know because of my history they won't believe it was an accident.

Would side effects be showing by now? I thought I could just miss tonights Lithium and then get back to normal. Or is it too soon to tell if I am going to have toxicity?

HH
      Normal is waaaaaay over rated

My Mood
      Cool

im not too sure about lithium, but id go get checked out, better safe than sorry

My Mood
      Lonely

Unfortunately I know nothing about Lithium mate, but as a suggestion you could call NHS direct? May save the panic and an A&E visit? I'd imagine you'll be fine though.
      Victory is always possible for the person who refuses to stop fighting.

My Mood
      Stressed

I'd go and get checked out

I think that it would be best to get checked out, no matter what the doctors think of you. That's a whole lot of sedating meds to take. It's better to be safe than sorry. I hope you will be okay and that they will believe you.

Fragile

There are few things..

Lithium is possibly the single most dangerous psychiatric drug you can overdose on.

But I don't know, and no one here will know, how 2000mg of lithium corresponds to your blood levels.

Chances are, you'll be fine. But that's not a chance I'd personally be willing to take.

I think you should at least phone up an out of hours GP if you can't face A&E.

I can also see how taking too much is an easy thing to do. I've done it loads with my other medications. I also take Lithium now, and I suspect there may be a time in the future where I do accidently take a double dose. These things happen. But it's best to deal with them safely after they have happened.

Hope that's not too alarmist for you. But those are my feelings.

Also, if you haven't already got one, why not get a pill box? It's what I use to help me keep track of what I have taken and when. It helps stop this kind of thing happening. It may help stop this happening to you again in the future.

Founding Member

Thanks,

I phoned NHS24 who sent me to my local out of hours. I forgot we had one of them. They have taken a blood test but were happy for me to leave in the absence of any symptoms. I live literally less 1/2 mile from there. If I feel bad I have to go back in and my hubs has to keep an eye. They will call me if I have to go back up and also to say if my levels are fine. From the way they treated me I don't think they suspected I had done it on purpose.
      I have got a pill box. I think what happened is yesterday I kept on thinking it was Saturday. I think I have gone and taken Fri or Sat pills and then gone and taken the opposite day.
      Thanksagain
      HH
      x
      Normal is waaaaaay over rated

My Mood
      Lonely

Quote Originally Posted by happyhappy View Post
      Thanks,

I phoned NHS24 who sent me to my local out of hours. I forgot we had one of them. They have taken a blood test but were happy for me to leave in the absence of any symptoms. I live literally less 1/2 mile from there. If I feel bad I have to go back in and my hubs has to keep an eye. They will call me if I have to go back up and also to say if my levels are fine. From the way they treated me I don't think they suspected I had done it on purpose.
      I have got a pill box. I think what happened is yesterday I kept on thinking it was Saturday. I think I have gone and taken Fri or Sat pills and then gone and taken the opposite day.
      Thanksagain
      HH
      x
      Glad you got it sorted.

Can sympathise, I don't have a pull box but I took my Quetiapine the other week and an hour later took it again as I forgot I took it!
      Victory is always possible for the person who refuses to stop fighting.

Fragile

I've done it before Happy, not with lithium (yet!); but I'm so forgetful. I often don't know what day it is, because I work with dates, not with days.

I'm sure the lithium levels will be OK - probably fairly high, but not dangerous I suspect. But you did the right thing to get it checked out.

Wishing you a good evening X

I'm glad you got seen by a doctor and that they believed you and also are willing to have you come back if you start to experience any bad effects.

Register To Comment
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast