Register To Comment

Thread: Electric shock sensations affecting tongue/mouth

Default Electric shock sensations affecting tongue/mouth

I have been getting this strange sensations in my mouth for at least a week, probably closer to 2 or more... I didn't really pay much attention to it at first.... Well tbh I tried to ignore it, I've been having weird sensations with the teeth along the sides of my jaws, kind of like they arent solid but move a bit when I bite on them.... So I was trying to ignore anything mouth related

But I've been noticing that I get this sensation, like constant electric shocks or a tingling almost like when you have had too many sour lollies at once (done that before, my advice dont - I literally burnt my tongue from the acid in the "sour warheads").

Its along the top of my tongue I guess, mostly towards the back I notice because I also notice it seems to spread around the back of my mouth sometimes.

Occassionally I have also been getting what feels like a strong pulsing heartbeat in my tongue...

The tingling can last for hours or all day, and happens most days, although I can't be sure because sometimes I don't seem to notice it but other times something will draw my attention to it and then I of course can't seem to get it out of my mind.... Sometimes the sensations seem stronger than other times.

My last antidepressant, moclobemide, I stopped in October and since then have only been on Lithium (currently 900mg daily) and Seroquel (up to 100mg daily) and Clonazepam (up to 2mg daily).

Any suggestions as what it might be so I can ask my pdoc about it next week?
      Is it something I should even bring to her attention or should I just try and ignore it?
      Everyone is born, but not everyone is born the same. Some will grow to be butchers, or bakers, or candlestick makers. Some will only be really good at making Jell-O salad. One way or another, though, every human being is unique, for better or for worse. - Matilda (1996 movie)

Hi razza - first a disclaimer: I'm not medically or phamacologically(?) qualified, and have never taken psychiatric drugs except for valium for a week or so (actually for back problem), but what you say made me think of what I know about withdrawal symptoms from SSRI ant-deps - even before I read you had stopped an anti-depressant lately.

Below is some info from Mind's website:

"Withdrawal problems vary, depending on the type of antidepressant. Common symptoms include gastric problems (nausea, vomiting, abdominal pain or diarrhoea), loss of appetite, sleep disturbance (insomnia, vivid dreams or nightmares), general discomfort (sweating, lethargy or headaches), and mood changes (low mood, hypomania – 'high' moods, panic, anxiety or irritability) and extreme restlessness.

With SSRIs, the commonest symptoms appear to be dizziness, light-headedness, numbness, tingling and sensations that feel like electric shocks. When withdrawal symptoms are severe, they may prevent people from going out and leading a normal life, and are particularly dangerous with activities like driving."

See more at: http://www.mind.org.uk/help/medical_...ntidepressants

The website also lists some 'useful websites' at the end of the info, which includes medication info places (though I can't vouch for how good they are): http://www.mind.org.uk/help/medical_...sants#websites

If you go to the home page of this forum - the Mental Health Forum - there's info listed about coming off psychiatric drugs - and I think there's one website listed called just that, which has very good info.

Why would you not want to bring it to the attention of your psychiatrist/prescribing doctor? I'm asking, not telling you what to do here.

As for ways to cope with the sensations or how long they last, I don't know, but I'm sure you can find out if you follow the various leads I've suggested, or/and other people here may know.

Best of luck with it.

Quote Originally Posted by oneday View Post
      Why would you not want to bring it to the attention of your psychiatrist/prescribing doctor? I'm asking, not telling you what to do here.

Best of luck with it.
      Thanks oneday xx

Because she intimidates me . I feel like she dismisses a lot of my symptoms. Like my lack of appetite she said was "good" because I am technically overweight and have body image issues and really do need to lose weight but not by not eating. I have lost weight not through exercise because I dont do anythin strenuous but through not being able to eat. All I had today was a bunch of sugary drinks, water, some locally made rocky road chocolate and a small milky way chocolate. That high a lack of appetite and inability to face food despite Wanting to eat is a real issue for me... But she thought my lack of appetite was good...

I guess I am scared she will dismiss this symptom too.

I hope it is just withdrawals although I have been off the antidepressant for several months, Im not sure how long withdrawal sensations last

But what if its something more?

Or worse.... What if it IS nothing and I just feel like a fool for mentioning it?
      Everyone is born, but not everyone is born the same. Some will grow to be butchers, or bakers, or candlestick makers. Some will only be really good at making Jell-O salad. One way or another, though, every human being is unique, for better or for worse. - Matilda (1996 movie)

Hi again,

I used to run a mental health information project. We would always say 'notify your prescribing doctor' if you have any problems with the drugs you've been prescribed (or stopped being prescribed) - they have a duty of care to you as their patient. Find your nearest advocacy service if you're not confident to speak up for yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by razza View Post
      I hope it is just withdrawals although I have been off the antidepressant for several months, Im not sure how long withdrawal sensations last

But what if its something more?

Or worse.... What if it IS nothing and I just feel like a fool for mentioning it?
      Wouldn’t it be a pretty strange coincidence if it was something else, or nothing, when the info says – as I posted:
      Quote Originally Posted by oneday View Post
      "With SSRIs, the commonest symptoms appear to be ... [etc, etc] [and..] ...tingling and sensations that feel like electric shocks..."
      - which is what you've described?

And besides, if it is 'something else' then it's important to check that out too and not be worrying about it, surely? Have you followed the links I gave you? And if no-one knows on this forum, try other forums - anti-deps forums... just Google.

I don't know... I'm worried it could be TD

What you wrote/pasted does sound similar, I followed the links, it's just it's been months since I stopped the anti-depressant and the sensations are only now occurring...

A lady in my group has tardive dyskenesia (or however you spell it) in her mouth and I don't know exactly what she experiences but I am worried about that and hoping it's nothing at the same time...

Kind of hoping if I ignore it it will go away!! (shhh I know it doesn't work like that!!)

Hi razza - Yes I can see that it's worrying and seems better to ignore it and it might go away! I don't know how long withdrawal symptoms for SSRIs/anti-deps last - I guess that would be something you might find out on anti-dep forums or other meds info sites. I've not heard TD described like that, but as I said, I'm no expert.

Pity no-one else here has replied - maybe people haven't noticed. You could try posting your question again in say the Depression section/forum.

Final thought - does Australia/your area have any kind of mental health (or meds) helpline that you could call. Ones like Saneline, or Rethink Advice Service in the UK would probably be able to tell you, or MindInfoLine. All these you can email for info too. You can get contact details via their websites - just Google. UK used to have a psychiatric medication helpline run by pharmacists which was v good on side-effects etc (since closed unfortunately) - does Australia have anything like that?

All best

We have one that I know of - Health Direct. During the week they are also staffed by people from the newly formed National Prescription Service.... HealthDirect is staffed 24/7 by registered nurses but I dont know if my issue is too specific for them because usually they are just a stop-gap to find out something that you dont really need to see a doctor for or to give you advice on first aid, meds doses and interactions and side effects etc until you can see your own doctor....

Thanks oneday xx

I guess I will just have to ask my pdoc about it on monday and hope she listens this time!
      (or put my head back in the sand and try and ignore it a bit longer lol)

Register To Comment