Register To Comment

Thread: Psychiatrist calls for lithium to be added to water

Default Psychiatrist calls for lithium to be added to water

A consultant psychiatrist last night called on Government to add lithium salts to the public water supply in a bid to lower the suicide rate and depression among the general population.

At a mental health forum on “Depression in Rural Ireland” in Ennistymon, Co Clare, Dr Moosajee Bhamjee said that “there is growing scientific evidence that adding trace amounts of the drug lithium to a water supply can lower rates of suicide and depression”.

Lithium is used by doctors as a mood stabiliser in the treatment for depression.

Dr Bhamjee said: “A recent article in the British Journal of Psychiatry found the beneficial uses of lithium when it was added to the water supply in parts of Texas.”

He said the Government should consider a pilot project for a town in Ireland where lithium salts could be added to the water in very small doses and examine the results.” He said there was already strong precedent for governments intervening in the operation of public water supply for health benefits by adding fluoride.

Dr Bhamjee said that a community would not get “hooked” on lithium “because the doses would be so small”.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/...308474582.html

Yet inside there is this perpetual nagging doubt;
      the feeling we are possessed by a 'subtle lack of togetherness''.

If we really want to say what helps in mental health, there’s a straightforward mantra and it goes like this:

“Some people find medication helpful. Some people find therapy helpful. Some people find medication and therapy helpful. Some people don’t find either helpful.”

My newspaper

My Mood
      Pensive

wow is that serious? Have they really added lithium to water supplies in texas? if so... OMG.
      Money would be much better spent on making sure people had decent living standards, could afford holidays once a year and not stress over bills, and access good therapy.

if they added lithium to the water supplies I would take to drinking my own piss lol.
      not that I think taking lithium is wrong, but forcing people to seems outrageous!

My Mood
      Cynical

fuck it!!! lets add prozac to baby milk!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Petalsoup View Post
      wow is that serious? Have they really added lithium to water supplies in texas? if so... OMG.
      Money would be much better spent on making sure people had decent living standards, could afford holidays once a year and not stress over bills, and access good therapy.

if they added lithium to the water supplies I would take to drinking my own piss lol.
      not that I think taking lithium is wrong, but forcing people to seems outrageous!
      Thanks sallyG, Rising Phoenix, Misha gave thanks for this post

black and white cat

What an excellent idea! BUT...

I began lithium after a year and a half of constant suicidal thoughts and bam they were gone. It is an incredible drug. It used to be in 7up in Australia i believe and i was told they used it for soldiers after the war who were suicidal. Perhaps instead of giving it to the non-suicidal, it should be available in a drink on prescription or something again.

It harms unborn babies so adding to the water supply i think is dangerous, even in small doses.

Forum Safety Team Rising Phoenix's Avatar

Now I have heard everything!
      “You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf.” - Jon Kabat-Zinn

omg! thats craziest idea i ever heard,

suppose they fail to mention how lithium may damage kidneys, or alter other levels in blood, what next ? ha crazy people x

My Mood
      Lonely

It is a natural salt in the human body already. So adding more can be dangerous, even a little more. Bizarre thought.
      "I am She who e're the world was formed, was Rhea, Binah Ge. I am the soundless, boundless bitter sea from whom life welled eternally. Isis in heaven, on Earth Persephone, Levanah of the waves and Hecate. All these am I and all these are seen in me." Dion Fortune.

Register To Comment