• Register To Comment

Thread: How long does it take for Prozac to work?

Default How long does it take for Prozac to work?

Just wondering how long Prozac takes to work, can it work in the first couple days? I've been taking it for 2 days and I almost feel mixed which is a little better than feeling depressed, at least this mixed is.

I just didn't think it could work until a week at the least Maybe I had a mood swing? Or its just in my head? I dunno, it seems kinda fast to be the prozac. I have more energy and while I still feel depressed I can hide it better now and prozac. I have more energy and while I still feel depressed I can hide it better now and still function since I started this medication..

And if it does make me manic how fast can that happen?

Apollon

I felt improvement while on Prozac, in about 3 days...
      It lifted my moods to subtle, enjoyable euphoria for about a week...
      Then it turned me into mixed state... But it wasn't classical mixed state in which I'm agitated, and full of rage, but rather, it was feeling of high energy, racing thoughts, and suicidal attempts...
      While I was taking Prozac, I stole my mother's medicines for high blood pressure and seizures (Tegretol), and gathered it for suicide... Suicide became my obsession while I was taking Prozac...
      Thanks God, Prozac was in deficit at that time, so I drunk all the capsules and felt better after stopping it...
      If you have history of mania or mixed episodes, PLEASE be careful, since those can have unwanted consequences... Ask doctor for a stabilizer...
      Good luck.

For me it was about 2 weeks before i felt the real benefit of Prozac. It's lifted my mood so that I am able to enjoy life once again.

I'm on two stabilizers, I'm just wondering because every other antidepressant I've ever taken has sent me up and then mixed like you said. My doctor said this one was different than the other ones I was on so I don't know what will happen.

rasselas

So far it has taken about 37 years since Prozac was first synthesised in 1974, and it has still yet to show any overall efficacy in scientific studies.

Quote Originally Posted by rasselas View Post
      So far it has taken about 37 years since Prozac was first synthesised in 1974, and it has still yet to show any overall efficacy in scientific studies.
      Lol good answer.

However, I am starting to feel a lot better since I switched to Prozac about 6 months ago. As for how long it takes to work - I've always been told that it can take up to 6 - 8 weeks.

Edit: I should point out though that I suffer from anxiety and depression - not bipolar.
      Last edited by blue; 28-09-11 at 18:27. Reason: clarification
      Life's too short to be blue - blue 2012

rasselas

Fair play, blue, fair play.

Apollon

Quote Originally Posted by TrickyRicky View Post
      I'm on two stabilizers, I'm just wondering because every other antidepressant I've ever taken has sent me up and then mixed like you said. My doctor said this one was different than the other ones I was on so I don't know what will happen.
      As I wrote in other threads, I took before : Sertraline, Paroxetine, Tianeptine and Fluoxetine.
      Tianeptine didn't put me in any bad mood, and Fluoxetine was the best of all SSRI I took...
      Even though it gave me bad episodes of dysphoria, it was easier to handle then episodes that emerged with other SSRI...
      So if you're on mood stabilizers, I think you shouldn't worry much... (I didn't take any stabilizer). If you smoke, smoke less, and drink as little as possible caffeinated drinks, because those are stimulants and can make things worse...

Thanks for the replies. I've been noticing that Prozac has been making me extremely sleepy in the morning but its better than being depressed.

According to my mood chart my mood is slowly going up, still depressed but nowhere near as bad as last week so we'll see where this goes. Every other antidepressant I took it was between one and two weeks and then all hell broke loose and I went manic so fingers crossed that that doesn't happen.

Register To Comment