• Register To Comment

Thread: Is Schizoaffective Disorder serious?

Default Is Schizoaffective Disorder serious?

I spent two weeks in hospital last year for hearing voices and feeling depressed and suicidal.The diagnosis was Schizoaffective Disorder.My question is, is it serious?Also i heard its a cross between Bipolar and Schizophrenia is this true?

becky1989

Hi

Yes, Schizoaffective Disorder is Schizophrenia and Bi-polar symtons together. But it's a mood disorder. My friend suffers with schizoaffective Disorder and with medication and therapy he copes with it.

I can't access the link but if you type Schizoaffective Disorder wiki on google. You can find some more information on it.

Good luck and I hope you have a nice weekend.

it can be serious... it does contain symptoms from both schizophrenia and bipolar... hope this helps...

Any psychotic condition is considered serious however what you probably want to know is the long term prognosis? Schizoaffective is something from which most people can recover. Recovery rate is about 75% in the US better than schizophrenia itself. Elsewhere recovery rate is even higher like Finland where the use of medication is rare.

Bipolar and schizoaffective are very different. Any schizo condition has it's root in suppression and repression of emotions which is the opposite of an emotional disorder. Distinguishing between the two is not easy.
      You can find me at SCHIZOIDS UNITED on Facebook- a support group for those diagnosed with schizoid personality disorder, schizotypal personality disorder, avoidant personality disorder, schizophreniforn, schizoaffective and schizophrenia. There is also secret Facebook group that is invite only.

skyblue

If we're talking labels, the way I understand it is that it's part Schizophrenia part Bipolar.
      Schizoaffective is apparently a worse prognosis than Bipolar but better prognosis than Schizophrenia.

Register To Comment