Register To Comment
    Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Can't clean my house (?OCD)

Quote Originally Posted by Wawamama View Post
      Oh, it is so comforting to find that there are other people who have the same issues as I do, i.e., OCD keeps me from cleaning my house! I look around every day and get depressed at this mess, which started because of hoarding - acquired too many items, not enough space to put everything, now can't clean because there is stuff piled everywhere. Also the all-or-none issue of "if I can't clean the whole place at one time, I might as well not clean any of it", and "I'll never get all of this done, so why bother". I would love it if anyone can help me reframe these stuck-in-a-rut thought patterns that I can't seem to reason away. Also having an issue with not know where to start. Any help any of you can give me would me very much appreciated. Thank you.
      Hi wawa, this is quite an old thread so I'm not sure you'd get much response.

As you're new, perhaps introduce yourself in here?
      to the forums
      Last edited by Mischief; 01-07-12 at 17:06. Reason: correction of link
      I like gardening if it is sunny and warm. Otherwise f*** that!!

I could have written this thread myself - this is me.

I would love to revive this thread if this poster is still around.
      Likes QuirkyLoner liked this post

My Mood
      Stressed

Quote Originally Posted by tailzzz24 View Post
      I could have written this thread myself - this is me.

I would love to revive this thread if this poster is still around.
      Here I am.

Messy as ever, but still alive & kickin'.

My Mood
      Stressed

I'd like to add a few things that are preventing me from getting the job done.

Spiders. I have lots of little ones living in different areas of my house. They build their webs on the sides of the boxes, so I'm afraid to touch them to throw them away.

Latex allergy. I can't use rubber gloves. I'm stuck with the thin little acrylic ones.

No knowledge of how to clean tricky things, like dirt-caked and spider web encased power cords.

Some things are too heavy for me to move, in order to clean under or around them. I have a spinal condition that prevents me from doing a lot of hardcore bending & lifting. Problem is, I look normal & healthy, so most people aren't aware of how messed up my back is. I had a spinal fusion surgery 20 years ago, and it only made my condition worse.

I believe (and so does my new counselor) that I may have Asperger's syndrome. If so, it must be getting worse because my concentration is at an all-time low. I can't seem to finish anything...even the things I enjoy doing.

Super Moderator
      My Mood
      Sad

Hi QuirkyLoner
      I'm glad you're ok, sorry I can't help much but one of the best deterants for spiders I've found is Citronella, essential oil and solid fly, insect blocks that contain it. Don't do this on any carpets, furniture or appliances without testing first but if you get some of the oil and mix it with water in one of those spray bottles like for plants and spray the boxes the spiders should go, they don't like it. Can you get anyone to help you move the heavy stuff? Don't do your back in, it's terrible when that happens, hope you can get some more ideas and help, take care.

fallen

Hi QuirkyLoner,

You're not alone in not liking spiders! I was inundated with them during the summer and do not like touching them either! Eww!

What I do (if hubby is not around to get rid of them for me)is to use an extendable feather duster to catch them then shake it outside. This type of duster is great for getting up high and behind furniture too. The old cup and sliding a piece of paper under it method is quite good if trying to catch them on a flat surface too.

Also, a deterant for spiders is conkers-place one in each corner of each room. Apparently they give off a chemical that spiders do not like. I have a friend who recommended this and have been assurred it works.

Hope this helps a bit.

xfallenx
      Likes clouds liked this post

My Mood
      Stressed

I don't think the duster thing would work because they could easily run up it and jump on my arm. Did I mention I have a severe bug phobia? Believe it or not, spiders don't scare me nearly as much as crickets. When one of those things show up, I practically go into hysterics. The spiders ick me because of the webs. When I feel that sticky web clinging to my hand, I feel like I'm going to throw up. I have no idea what a conker is. LOL

My Mood
      Stressed

I'm thinking about buying a Shop Vac and trying to suck everything up (spiders included) with that. Think it'll work?

Super Moderator
      My Mood
      Sad

There's no need to feel the webs on your hand, the spiders would run away before running up to jump on your hand, I think, don't know where you are or what kind spiders are there. They do eat flies which is a good thing but can do that in someone elses house. A conker is a horse chestnut seed, green and spikey on the outside, with a roundish shiney brown nut on the inside. We don't get crickets here really but I'm never been afraid of them when they do, they make a nice noise.

My Mood
      Stressed

I mean I feel the webs on my hands when I just touch stuff to move it, ya know? Like, every item in my house is basically covered in dust or spider webs. At this very moment, I'm looking at a big stretch of webbing that's clinging to one of my windows. *shiver*

Register To Comment
    Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast