• Register To Comment

Thread: Key Worker Qualities.

Default Key Worker Qualities.

Hi everyone, first time post here. I work as a social care worker and have just been given my first key client. I'd like to ask anyone with key workers what qualities do you look for - what makes a good key worker? Thanks.

My Mood
      Scared

Hi there, key worker along same lines as care co-ord? I know for me, anyone who works with me, including my care co-ord, I need them to listen and really hear me. To understand what I struggle with, and not undermine it in anyway. To build a relationship with me so I feel safe to go to them with anything, and know I won't be judged. To encourage me with short and long term plans. To know when to push, and when not to (I have BPD). To help me find words when I sometimes can't (or often!). To help support me when meeting other professionals. To guide me when I need it.

Sounds like a tall order, doesn't it, and that's not nearly everything lol. I really admire anyone who works in this field. Well done, and good luck!

ali
      My Mood
      Chatty

well said sunflower...

my key worker does all of the above plus little things like making sure i am on time with my bilsl and how to plan my weeks to make sure i am doing something or not to much depending on moods....

she also helps me with all my benefit forms. and helps me with any issues or relationship problems

she is basically my personal organisor.

actually she does do alot lol

good luck with everything,

dont judge, be friendly, proffesional and patient.

none of us asked to be like this so dont promise and not deliver, laugh or question our outlook on life ( which at times will be amusing but not to us at the time lol )

again good luck
      Don't be afraid to give your best to what seemingly are small jobs. Ever time you conquer one it makes you that much stronger. If you do the little jobs well, the big ones tend to take care of themselves.
      --Dale Carnegie

Dont tell me the sky's the limit,
      when there are footprints on the moon!!!

I have been shot down in flames by my "support " service, left to my own devices and no wind beneath my wings just very rancid farts !

Thank you sunflower and ali, you've given me very good advice. I love my job and want to do the best that i can for my client. I appreciate your insights.
      deletext, I hope you find decent support (and a better quality of air!)

My Mood
      Angelic

I mean for me I don't like a Care Coordinator to be shyer than me lol I like them to be upfront, friendly, so when we have appointments it feels like I am sitting talking to a friend, a friend I have trust in that can help me, and really listens and takes into consideration what I am asking or wanting from them.

for me i need to feel listened to, when i am in crisis, not to presume i am acting out, as i trully mean what i say. to believe me. not been heard has left me in a n e.

not to use BPD as a reason not to get too close, so i barely see her (mine does and makes me worse) and likewise refuses some other support cos of this.

to not be treated differently cos of my dx to other patients

not to presume she know me better than me.

to build up a relationship and realise it will take time.

and if ppl have problems using the phone and ring, i would suggest it is prob urgent, or should check as it is with me. at least return calls asap, as i feel abandoned and last in the pile.

and something one of my support workers does is dont cross the boundaries, between friend and worker, as it leaves the patient v confused, it does for me.

they ultimately need to be someone u can trust and tell exactly how u are feeling and trust to get the help u need, when u need it.
      friends stick with u through thick and thin, through the rough and the smooth, the good and the bad.

I have no doubt that you will be a Good social Care Worker, and you might well say WHY, And I say , because you took the time to Join this Forum and ask the very type of people you will be caring for, and they are very honest and will tell you what they think a good Care Worker is .Good Luck with your new Carrer I am sure you will do well.If you want to learn ,just listern to the people,
      Thanks Mischief gave thanks for this post

Quote Originally Posted by ginger View Post
      I have no doubt that you will be a Good social Care Worker, and you might well say WHY, And I say , because you took the time to Join this Forum and ask the very type of people you will be caring for, and they are very honest and will tell you what they think a good Care Worker is .Good Luck with your new Carrer I am sure you will do well.If you want to learn ,just listern to the people,
      Yes. I agree with you. Only if the one who always listen to the people can get lots of info and be a good social care.

Register To Comment