Register To Comment
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fear of slipping on ice

Default Fear of slipping on ice

Does anyone dread snow freezing? Big fear of slipping on icy pavements, especially slopes.

I hear wearing your socks over shoes is good for ice. I'm waiting for a pair of yak tracks.

If they don't come, I'll just avoid going out.

My Mood
      Breezy

What's a yak track?

I slipped in the ice when I was 10 and fractured my shoulder (I was messing about and running at the time), so I am now very careful. I have lots of snow/ice suitable boots for this sort of weather.

Someone once told me that working on your balance and core muscles helps you stay upright too. And I think its right - since I started horse riding I have tripped a lot less in the winter.
      "So often we dwell on the things that seem impossible rather than on the things that are possible.
      So often we are depressed by what remains to be done and forget to be thankful for all that has been done."

Hi Maxitab,

Yak tracks are wire springed things that fit over trainers/boots etc with studs in them. Specially designed for people who do a lot of walking in snow/ice conditions. They were sold out here locally - and we don't even get that much snow. You can order them from Cotswold Outdoor.

Hi Coffee,

Yes, my balance is rather good. I read it's best to walk slightly forward on ice with toes curled. I slipped crossing a road once and slid right to the bottom into incoming traffic on a busy road - not hurt, but I think that's where my fear/phobia comes from.

Yes im scared of falling over on the ice as well, and i usually do fall over. typical!!!

Lol I've just got this vision of going out with my socks over my shoes, the people round here already think I'm mad, that would really give them something to talk about - might just do it!!
      This too shall pass

My Mood
      Blah

I tend to take smaller steps and carefully put my feet down, last year I was doing this and still fell on my A**e, but I was going down a slope at the time.

I fell last year whilst heavily pregnant and have already slid and fell once this year. It does make me very nervous as I have a bad back, thing is that makes me tense whilst walking which makes it more likely I will slip and fall...doh.

I fell last year too despite walking really slowly and carefully. I now have a bad back as well and am not going out unless hubby is with me as I really don't want to fall again at the moment. Still it's nice to cosy up in the house and look out at it all. Stay safe and warm everyone.
      xxx
      May Morrison: Can I do anything for you, Sergeant?

Sergeant Howie: No, I doubt it, seeing you're all raving mad.

Register To Comment
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast