• Register To Comment
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ESA -"Work-Related Activity Group?" what does this MEAN?

My Mood
      Angry

Default ESA -"Work-Related Activity Group?" what does this MEAN?

i have been placed in ESA "Work-rElated activity group. what do i have to do practically? i don't feel i can work just yet but i would love to do some training and become confident enough so i can work someday

My Mood
      Mellow

I don't know what this entails exactly, i tried for a year to get an answer out of them whilst I appealed and failed and now I'm in support group so am still none the wiser. The only thing I do know is that it means you have to have monthly meetings with your advisor who will decide if you've been doing enough 'work related activity' and if not, then they take your WRA component off you (bout 26 p/w). I have no idea what they consider to be sufficient 'activity' or even what that means and I never got to interview stage as I wouldn't go due to my agoraphobia and the fact I was appealing. Then after 6 months, you will be reassessed.

If you have previously been on IB or you don't feel you have been assessed properly, I would advise you to try and get support group. This way, you can do training if you want but it's not compulsary. They stay on your back with medicals though, I've got another one soon only 6 months after the last even though I won my appeal only 2 weeks ago.

You have 30 days from the decision date to challenge the decision. If you decide not to, can you let me know what happens to you at interview as I would really like to know! Thanks, ALice

It seems like being on JSA, except you get a little more money, and the meetings are monthly instead on fortnightly.

Slightly off topic, ESA is Labours fault, not the coalition government, as a fair few seem to think.

My Mood
      Mellow

It was labour who introduced it, but they also introduced tax credits and ema - there was no extra money at all for the poor before that. I used to get 138 p/w in tax credits when I was working and 70% of my childcare costs, I could never have worked under the tories, I would have been worse off than on benefits. I know it's new labour an' all but they really cant be compared to the agenda of the tories. I remember Thatcher!! and I did my share of protesting. Just want to share my pride that my daughter was at Millbank last wednesday. She wasn't one of the ones that broke the windows but she would like it known that the few who did were fully supported by hundreds of students, ordinary students, not anarchists and that the police did nothing but try and ignore them. The police are not allowed to protest for the 25% cuts that they are facing and they seemed quite happy to let the students do the talking for them......Sorry for off topic rant fbb.

Basically its like JSA but you get extra money and you meet with reed employment once a month to brush up on skills etc and maybe hence maybe to give some training in the future. i went to my local job centerplus because i had a pathways to employment interview adn they discussed what will happen in my following interviews with Reed employment agency who appearently only deal with claimants on ESA. But im due for another medical soo lets wait and see what will happen first. hopefully they will keep me on esa... fingers crossed cause its bringing up a lot of anxiety about going onto jsa.

I could never have worked under the tories, I would have been worse off than on benefits. I know it's new labour an' all but they really cant be compared to the agenda of the tories.
      I agree, but labour has made it easy for them, with ESA already being unfair, the Tories have just taken it a step further.

It means you are deemed fit for some work related activity , under current plans you would get ESA for a year, then
      go on to JSA, then after a year get a 10% reduction in your housing benefit, the DWP can offer you various courses,
      best speak to your advisor now , or you could consider college, again check with them see webpage

http://www.dwp.gov.uk/policy/welfare...hways-to-work/

Forum Volunteer

Quote Originally Posted by delatext View Post
      It means you are deemed fit for some work related activity , under current plans you would get ESA for a year, then
      go on to JSA
      , then after a year get a 10% reduction in your housing benefit, the DWP can offer you various courses,
      best speak to your advisor now , or you could consider college, again check with them see webpage

http://www.dwp.gov.uk/policy/welfare...hways-to-work/

where are you getting this from please?

as i understand it, ESA for those in the work-related activity group is valid for one year and is then subject to means-testing, ie you will only lose it if you have more than 6,000.00 in savings or if you or your partner/spouse earns more than is permitted ( i think this is about 93.00 a week). have i got that wrong?

Pickle, I would like some clarification on this too.

If anyone knows please chime in..

My Mood
      Mellow

As I understand it, the 1 year restriction only applies to contribution based ESA, not income related ESA which is not currently restricted. What happens to you after the year if you've got less than 6,000 savings and no partner seems to be unclear.

Register To Comment
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast