• Register To Comment

Thread: Citalopram - double dosage?

Unhappy Citalopram - double dosage?

Hi everyone. A month ago I was diagnosed with moderate to severe manic depression and was prescribed 10mg daily of Citalopram. I went back today for my second consultation and the doctor gave me a repeat prescription.

I told him I felt the Citalopram was taking me in the right direction but it wasn't anywhere near enough and that I needed to take a bigger step. He said he wanted me to take 10mg for another month but if I was having a bad spell, to double the dosage after a week or two and move myself up to 20mg.

As I'm self-employed I can't risk having another major depressive episode in the near future (and feel as though I may be at risk of one) and really would feel far more comfortable at 20mg. Of course, if I step myself up now I would be back in two weeks for another consultation and another repeat prescription. Would you recommend stepping myself up to 20mg and trusting my own instincts and feelings or sitting it out for a couple of weeks and stepping up then? I don't want to risk (and can't risk, financially) another depressive episode in the near future.

If you feel you are having a bad spell, or at risk of having one, then I would say go for the 20mg, the doctor has effectively cleared this. If he's saying step up in a week or two then it doesn't make a lot of difference to do it a week earlier. If you're worried about this, is it possible for you to ring the surgery and ask for advice over the phone? You may find then that you won't have to go back for another consultation, just pick up a prescription. That's what happens at my surgery anyway.
      Music is the medicine of the mind. ~ John A. Logan

Hi there, when i was on citalopram i started on 20mg then went up to 30mg and if anything i was happier, i dont remember feeling any more side effects. The only bad time i had on it was when i first started it and that was just awful. I hope there isnt any effects from going to 10mg to 20mg but i suppose if it doesnt feel right you could just go back down to 10mg until you get in with the doc?

Thanks, guys. Think I'll step up to 20mg and see what happens. Can't risk one step forward and two back.

Also, does anyone know how long the increased dose will take to show its effects? My initial 10mg took two weeks to kick in but will the increase work more quickly due to the Citalopram already being in my system?

Im sure i felt even better after just a couple of days. Unfortunatley for me they seemed to stop working after a while and after no improvement at 40mg i came off them. It did perk me up when i did the initial 10mg extra though. Its different for everyone and i really wish you luck x

I don't really know how long it would take to kick in, but two weeks for the initial dose is really quite quick so hopefully the step up will be quick as well. Citalopram worked well for me for many years until, like jennie, they stopped working and I had to change. I was on a maintenance dose of 60mg, the suggested maximum.
      Music is the medicine of the mind. ~ John A. Logan

Thanks, everyone. I'm getting a bit teary for some reason. Glad I took the 2nd 10mg earlier.

Have a cry if you need to, its good for you if you need to talk we are here x

Register To Comment