Register To Comment
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: what is the role of the cpn? what do they do?

Default what is the role of the cpn? what do they do?

I have been trying to ring my pdoc for the last couple of weeks because I am feeling awful but just cannot pluck up the courage. How pathetic is that?!

Anyway, I have an appt with my cpn on thur so thought instead of ringing my pdoc I could just wait till I see him and he might be able to help. Or isn't that what they do? Would he be able to alter meds?

as far as i know they cant alter your meds only your gp or psychiatrist can do that. im the same as you regarding phoning up i always end having to get drunk to get the courage up to phone (not a course of action i recommend for anyone). i would ask your cpn to make you an emergency appointment, tho with psychiatrists the wheels do seem to move slowly. i hope things work out for you.

I know I should ring. Everyday I decide to and then put it off till its too late and think I'll ring tomorrow instead! How do I get the courage?! I thought about getting drunk but I have to pick my daughter up from school later!

Hi Mickeymoo
      I've only just been able to pick up the phone and ring my cpn but it's taken 8 months! I have a really good relationship with him and he's so aware of my 'nervousness' at ringing so he lets me email him first to say i need to talk and then he gives me a time. That way I know he has time to talk to me and pushes me into ringing at that time. Is this something you could try? Do you find your cpn easy to talk to?
      I hope my thread helps!!
      Best of luck Clairelouise xx

Apparently the role of my CPN is to make me feel worse and not contact me when she should I spoke to a really, really nice CPN yesterday and wish I could switch to him.

skyblue

Your CPN cannot prescribe you medication, only your Psychiatrist.

When you see he/she on Thurs, talk to them about wanting your PDoc Appointment to be brought forward and make sure it gets sorted out asap.

Otherwise, have you got anybody that can call for you ? When I'm really ill, my partner usually sorts it out for me.

just found out my pdoc is off until 20th. Dont know what to do now.

skyblue

That's a hard one, because you'll need to use the phone again. If you can pluck up the courage to call your MH Team, you should be able to see somebody as soon as, so long as you tell them it's an emergency, otherwise get somebody else to call.

Or

Speak to your CPN on Thurs to arrange an appointment asap. The sooner you call though, the sooner you'll be seen.

Otherwise, make an appointment with your GP for the meantime, though I doubt he/she will be able to change anything for you until it's been authorised by your PDoc.

Quote Originally Posted by skyblue View Post
      Your CPN cannot prescribe you medication, only your Psychiatrist.

When you see he/she on Thurs, talk to them about wanting your PDoc Appointment to be brought forward and make sure it gets sorted out asap.

Otherwise, have you got anybody that can call for you ? When I'm really ill, my partner usually sorts it out for me.
      Some CPN can change meds if they are Nurse Prescribers. We have Nurse Prescribers in our area and they can do that.

Also you can request a change of CPN if you really don't get on with yours, there will be a manager or team leader, or you could ask your GP (if you get on ok with them) to help you do it. Some other friends of mine have "sacked" their workers and changed to other workers when they haven't managed to build a good rapore with them. Remember your worker is there to help you; you're not there to keep them in a job!!!!!
      If you want to understand me, don't listen to what I say listen to what I don't say.

CPN community practice nurse

Come to visit and talk about how you are getting on, can speed up appointments with the psyc. etc

Maybe take you out for a coffee and chat

Register To Comment
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast