Register To Comment
    Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Incapacity Benefit and depression

Default Incapacity Benefit and depression

I've not worked for over five years. According to the general mood of the media these days I'm a bone idle scrounger. The fact I worked full time for 18 years prior to my breakdown in 2005 means nothing it seems. The solution to my non-availability to be told how to stack shelves in Tesco by a spotty fop haired twat a third of my age is to cut my benefits in order to persuade me that I would be financially better off in work, if not emotionally.

So at some point they will call me in for an assessment and do the 'witch test'. In medieval times, if you were suspected of being a witch they would sit you on a ducking stool and plunge you head first into a pond. If you drowned then it was deemed that you were a human being (albeit a dead one!). If you managed to get your head above water and not drown then this was evidence of witchcraft, therefore you were sentenced to death!

This is pretty much what happens now with the ESA....If you fail to turn up for your appointment you are deemed to not be engaging with 'the system'. Therefore your benefits will be stopped or reduced. If you do turn up for your appointment, you are deemed to be able to cope with your depression perfectly adequately because you CAN get up and out of bed and motivate yourself to be somewhere at a specific time!

Well, I am old enough, sensible enough and demotivated enough to take no part whatsover in this fascist approach to mental illness. I'll not go to any appointment, but will stay in bed and wait for the bailiffs to turn up eventually.

It's very hard to give a shit any more when people with serious depression are routinely treated as lazy benefits cheats when the truth is, many of us are utterly unemployable due to our fractious mood and disregard for life and its petty futility. If I was well enough to care about the future I would care enough to either want to work or want to preserve the measly 90 quid a week they give me to survive on. As far as I am concerned, if I'm going to sit on a ducking stool it will be one of my making, not some arsehole from the civil service whose existence is even more worthless and irrelevant than mine!

P.S. Smiley emoticons have no place on a depression forum. I hate the damn things. If you can post cartoon smiles and hold down a job then your 'depression' is nothing more serious than a mild case of the blues. Pull yourselves together and ditch the stupid emoticons!

well said couldnt agree more.
      What people do not realise 1 in every 4 people will suffer from a mental illness and it is about time someone fought for MH rights. There is an anti stigma campaign but there does not seem much backbone to it.

Unfortunately too many people play along with the system because they are scared of losing their benefits. In a way, whether they like people saying it or not, people with depression who attend these medicals may well have mild to moderate depression but cannot be profoundly depressed to the point of disengagement from concern for their welfare. Hence they give weight to the media and the medics who bully them back into work because they are exhibiting a desire to engage with the notion that their lives have a purpose and long term future!

If no one turned up to these assessments and showed they really are too depressed to give a toss about these arbitary arseholes deciding whether they are fit to work, the system would collapse and therefore the powers that be would HAVE to change the way they do things.

Stigma will only disappear when people like us accept that although 1 in 4 suffer some sort of mental illness at some point in their lives, the vast majority of those cases are mild and brief. I am talking about people whose mental state causes INCAPACITY to function within the constructs that society imposes and in that regard, it is no use saying you're incapable of working if you're capable of going to an appointment with a half baked moron in order to try and persuade him or her that you're not capable of going to appointments or working, because all such activities necessitate the ability to engage with numerous half baked morons whilst resisting the temptation to stick the pointy end of a biro in their left eyeball.

I've had the police attend to my fractious mood enough times to not care about the consequences of being arrested for taking someone's eye out, but I'm not a naturally violent person and am sure I would get no more pleasure from seeing blood drip from the retina of an ESA assessor than I would from watching another repeat of 'Homes Under The Hammer'. The thing is though that I can do the latter from the comfort of my home, follow it up with a cup of coffee, 20mg of diazapam and a sleeping tablet and rest in relative peace while the twat at the medical centre sits around waiting for me to turn up in the manner of someone who gives a shit!

I do not know whay you are saying that mild to moderate depression is less incapacitating than any other mental health diagnosis. It is the people that pretend to have metal illness that are demonising the rest.
      People are scared of losing their benefits and is a very scary place for some to be in. They are not playing as you put it.

Of course mild to moderate depression is less incapacitating than severe depression! It's a matter of straightforward logical definition. I'm not saying people with milder forms are playing at being depressed, but it is difficult for them to claim to be INCAPABLE of doing things that define ability to function when they make the effort to do things in order to claim that they can't function! Someone who is depressed and lying in bed, would soon be running for the door if an intruder came in and told them if they don't get out now they will shoot them. Ultimately they value their existence enough to want to preserve it. Someone who is severely depressed would simply shrug their shoulders and thank the gunman for turning up and putting them out of their misery because they can't be arsed to shoot themselves!

Depression is an illness, but it is too often diagnosed as a blanket 'one size fits all' condition whereby anyone on anti-depressants can diagnose themselves as unable to do this that or the other but still manage to do all these things and more because they NEED to work, or they NEED to pay bills. Anyone who doesn't want any of those things enough to fulfil a need for them is incapacitated. The rest merely find their depression makes their life troublesome, but not so bad that they are incapable of addressing those wants and needs. I have had mild, moderate and severe depressive episodes over the years and I KNOW the difference. For several years I held down a full time job while feeling depressed. Now I am incapable of holding down any job or caring whether I lose my benefits, my home or my life and THAT is a massive difference. I'm so apathetic I can't even find the motivation to get suicidal, which is another erroneous perception of depression. I have felt less depressed than this but more concerned about wanting to end my life. Now I am simply waiting for nature to take its course or for a gunman to turn up such is the malaise that chronic apathetic depression creates within my psyche. Despair is beyond repair when it cuts the cord of one's care. A backbone without a spine is no more use than a brain without a stem and if function stops at the base of the neck because it is immersed in thought, theory and logic, within the confines of a liquid brain, then the body is but a shell as vacant and usless as that of a corpse.

All mental illness is a size to fit all.
      Some people want to get better and not have the pain of losing everything they have wanted to get out of life, and that does not mean material things. That is why people fight for what they have not to feel bitter on the sofa.
      If forums ar here to work a way out of problems no one else will listen to then they have every right to do so.

Right.....so you're saying that a sociopath is the same as a psychopath, is the same as a schitzophrenic, is the same as a depressive is the same as a manic depressive etc., etc., when it comes to offering opinions, support or advice on internet forums? And one diagnosis fits all then regarding entitlement to benefits and any other aspect of mental health care? Serial murderers are mentally ill, being devoid of the ability to empathise or exhibit normal emotions such as responsibility and guilt, but that doesn't mean they should be on incapacity benefit. At the other end of the scale, someone who takes prozac but still finds time and inclination to go clubbing every Saturday night 'to try and get better' cannot be classified as clinically depressed and deserving of financial assistence while they are 'too ill to work' to help them pay for condoms and a taxi home at 2.00am.

So your conclusions are absurd. I also find your comment 'some people want to get better' rather offensive in its implication that others (such as I) don't. Anyway, I don't feel bitter on the sofa. I'm a lager drinker! What you fail to understand is that the things that most people want to get out of life are entirely different to the things that some people actually get out of life even if they have or have had those things that other people aspire to! In other words some of us have had the career, the family, the salary, the car, the love, the general interactions with people and life and found them to not be all they are cracked up to be by the notional standards of the wider society in which we live. So how can someone with that valid personality type get better by being made to strive for more of the same crap, bullshit and lies of the home and workplace that made them ill in the first place?

What one person may define as getting 'better' could quite reasonably be defined by another person as an absolutely abhorent situation that would be utterly intolerable. Getting better does NOT mean getting a job a house, a partner or social life if NONE of those things gives any degree of personal achievement, pleasure, motivation or stimulation. If one is inclined to find that the things life has to offer, even when things are going according to how most people call 'to plan', is pretty much all pointless bollocks, then the option to 'get better' isn't actually an option at all.

Mental illness not the diagnosis

That is like saying that everyone with cancer has the same physical illness therefore the diagnosis of the type of cancer has no bearing on the prognosis.

Ridiculous.

I'm me, your you, he's him - (Bill Hicks)
      I am me, except when I am not then i am a differnt me.
      GnR - PIG - KMFDM
      Who are you, what do you want, where have you been, have you come far, what have you seen, ........ will you be my friend ......
      Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day, Teach a man to fish, he'll eat for a life time, Give a man a net , he'll empty the lake ........

Register To Comment
    Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast