Register To Comment
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Travel Insurance Which Covers Bipolar Disorder ??

Default Travel Insurance Which Covers Bipolar Disorder ??

Hi I am travelling to Florida next Wednesday I have contacted a multitude of Insurance Companies and am turned down again and again and again. Can anyone help?? Have you managed to get a policy which covers Bipolar Disorder ? If you have could you PLEASE reply telling me which company x

http://www.mind.org.uk/help/social_f...surance#Travel

hope this helps

wasnt sure if you wanted general cover or cover for an episode of bi polar

let me know how you get on as i would like to get cover for bipolar

http://www.free-spirit.com/

these cover manic depression they call it. it cost me 50 quid to get 1 week cover to europe.in july

Thankyou so much for your suggestions. I need insurance that specifically covers Bipolar Disorder. I went to Florida 3 years ago and was hospitalised due to full blown mania with major psychotic features. Foolishly I thought that general cover did cover everything but it didn't and it cost me roughly 6000 OUCH !!! I have contacted Free Spirit and they have quoted 517 which was better than Allclear who quoted 2195. Will carry on with the mind.org suggested insurers and will let you know how I get on

hi

im just wondering, do you think travelling to florida was what sparked your episode? or were you feeling a bit high/ low before you went?

i only ask as it was my husband and i's dream to travel america once the kids were grown up a bit.

when i had my first manic episode last year they told me to be careful of travelling abroad eg time zones it has totally freaked me out as i cant put it out of my head

whats going on here i posted about this not long ago, I have had to pay 89 extra when I see I could have got it cheaper!

Never mind I made my parents pay it anyway as I said I wasn't going to. I mean I have been stable for years going to sun is not going to make me go lala

Hi travelling to Florida was definately not the problem as I have visited before and after that episode. I got insurance last year from a company named Orbis who will not insure this time although nothing has changed since I declared Bipolar on that occasion. My problem in hindsight was caused by my psychiatrist I had been depressed and just over a month prior to departure I told him that I wasn't going to go with my husband and 2 boys even though we would have lost my fare etc. He said he was going to ensure that I had a great time and started me on Efexor 75mg then he doubled it a fortnight later to 150mg and then doubled it again the week that I was due to depart sending me off to America on Efexor at 300mg!!! whilst continuing Lamotrogine and Seroquel - I did not know that Efexorl could cause a manic switch and trusted him completely I was basically a walking time bomb that well and truly exploded

Suzy sorry new to forum - could you tell me the link to your thread please. Call me thick but are you saying that your insurance was 89 more than my quote?

no it was 12 basic insurance then the 89 excess to cover bipolar (more than insurance)

In reply to Karen I can't believe he put you on effexor! When I was researching drugs and mentioned that to my psyc she said that is one to steer clear of for bipolar as it can induce a high. I just can't believe your psyc put you on that, he should have known it can increase serotonin too much.

Travel Insurance SORTED

Am Posting this thread as a reference for anyone who has or may have in the future problems getting travel insurance whilst declaring Bipolar Disorder. I declared that I had been sectioned involuntarily once in the past 2 years and that I get psychotic when manic. The latter being the problem eg. Orbis (who insured with full cover on my last trip to Florida - no claims submitted during that trip on policy) would insure for 200 but when I said I could become psychotic they refused cover unless the condition was excluded.

Insurance companies that will insure me including Bipolar Disorder to travel to Florida for 36 days are Free Spirit 517.79, Flexicover Direct 520.63, Citybond 573.27, Travel Insurance Club 520.63 and Allclear 2195. MIA Insurance may have quoted if cover was for less than 30 days

Register To Comment
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast