• Register To Comment

Thread: my 13 yr old daughter told me she hears voices

dawnawren

Default my 13 yr old daughter told me she hears voices

Donna – December 30, 2008 @ 12:50 AM
      My 13 year old daughter just told me that she has been hearing voices for about 2 months. She said that at first it sounded like about 10 people mumbling and whispering in a room. She said that the sounds are coming from inside her head and that sometimes it comes when she has been hurt or feeling bad. She said that she heard them when we were going through a big Christmas light display. She says that now there is one voice that is more distinct and louder than the others. She says he talks very loudly and then the other people are shreaking like they are dying. She says that it lasts about 10-20 minutes. She says that it usually happens at night and that it has woke her up at night. She is very intelligent, in the gifted and challenge class at school, plays trumbone in band, cheerleader, and does flags. She makes A & B's in school and has never been a behavior problem. She does not take any medications or have any health problems. She did have surgery at 4 months to remove a cyst that grew through a major artery in her brain. The doc said she was normal child afterwards.
      Any ideas would be nice as it has scared me very much. I am not sure what to do. I was grateful to find this site.

Default Re: my 13 yr old daughter told me she hears voices

Hello,
      Often the voices will vanish forever. Do not say
      anything, keep quiet about it, as not to reinforce
      or entertain it. Keep your fingers crossed and hope
      for the best.
      Cal

terri

Quote Originally Posted by calfellows View Post
      Hello,
      Often the voices will vanish forever. Do not say
      anything, keep quiet about it, as not to reinforce
      or entertain it. Keep your fingers crossed and hope
      for the best.
      Cal
      Totallly good advice Cal.

And I'm sure those voices which scream get me out of hell fire, like they did me once, will come out as well.

Must go, got family pow wow about funeral business. Take care,

Lots of love

Tello x

Aine

Hallo!
      The fact that your little daughter hears voices does not mean that she is mentally ill. A significant number of normal people hear voices who cope with them well and who have never seen a psychiatrist. It is only when a operson is distressed by their voices that it becomes a problem.
      If your daughter is disturbed by any of her voices, that voice may have a message: often what it is saying can identify a worry or problem which she may have.
      In the winter edition of 'Voices' the Journal of the Hearing Voices Network, there is a very helpful article by a social Psychiatrist, written for parents who are worried because their children hear voices.
      If your daughter is doing well at school and has friends, I don't think you need worry. She is just normal but with a special gift. - Aine

For the record, some religions refer to voices
      as a gift, and here is the Christian scriptures:

1st Corinthians 12 (Gifts of the spirit)
      #1. For to one is given by the Spirit the word of wisdom;
      #2. to another the word of knowledge by the same spirit;
      #3. to another faith by the same spirit;
      #4. to another the gifts of healing by the same spirit;
      #5. to another the working of miracles;
      #6. to another prophecy;
      #7. to another discerning of spirits (hearing & seeing)
      #8. to another divers kinds of tongues (many languages);
      #9. to another interpretation of tongues:

deano69

hi there re:to your daughter who hears voices if you look up dr sandra escher as sandra has done a lot of reasearch into young people who hear voices i strongley recomend sandras work!take care dean!!!

RainbowElf

Smile Re: my 13 yr old daughter told me she hears voices

Hi

If they are not distressing her in any way then take everyones advice about getting her to try and ignore them.
      However if they are distressing her then might be best to seek out someone who could listen to her.

As people have said hearing voices is not always a mental health problem, but it does become a problem when it is distressing in any way.

Try to get her to talk about how they make her feel.

Good Luck in getting through this.

Elf

I'm a little confused. I thought a lot of the new thinking on voice hearing was to encourage speaking about it. I started hearing voices in 2005 and none of my friends or family will talk about it. Even my P-doc avoids talk about the voices as I've read was the right approach in the past. It really helps me a lot to use this forum to talk to and read about other people's experiences.
      Hope your daughter gets all the support and love she needs. She is lucky to have a wonderful mother searching for answers.
      Namaste'
      Kurt

Register To Comment